14 November 2007

AFLAC!!!

A soldier enjoys the setting sun on top of his armored assault vehicle.


AFLAC!!!

The suspected insurgent fowl attempt to hide their identities from the camera . . . .

The power of nature shone forth today as I was driving down the road in front of the Al Faw Palace on base here. The palace is surrounded by a manmade lake which serves as home to a surprising variety of wildlife. I could see up ahead there was a convoy element with six gun trucks headed my way. That is, they WERE headed my way until nature subtly but forcefully stood in the way. A flock of geese decided to cross the road. I had a front row seat on the other side of the street as a large and valorous male goose strutted in front of the five-ton lead humvee mounted with a 50 cal machine gun. The goose spread it’s wings and quacked, ferociously. The convoy came to a sudden stop. A parade of a dozen geese casually crossed the road, one even breaking stride to leave a little something extra in front of the humvee. As the male goose started to cross himself, the lead humvee inched forward, only to once again draw the ire of the fearless bird who waddled back over, with wings spread anew. “You don’t want a piece of me.” Two amused troops passing by snapped pictures as these pugnacious waterfowl made their way into the lake. Geese 1, Military 0. Aflac commercial coming soon.



A giant American Flag hangs in the main rotunda of the Palace for Veterans Day.


Your Insider Access Pass to the Al Faw Palace

Multinational Force Iraq is headquartered in the Al Faw Palace, a grandiose structure in the middle of camp. I’ll tell you one thing, Saddam sure liked his ceilings colorful.

The ceilings are ornately painted in pastel hues.



Every door in the palace has an artistic renedition of Saddam's initials



And now, for another installment of "Everything is More Difficult in Iraq."

Our topic this week: Courier Service
Why is it more difficult in Iraq? Because it does not exist. I am getting a new cell phone. The people who issue the cell phones are located in the Green Zone. Only 10km away! No problem! I’ll just hop in my car during lunch and run over there. Easy. But wait! This is IRAQ! You can’t do that. You have to make a reservation on the Rhino (see previous post) or get on a helicopter to go over there. “Sure honey, I’ll be home in time for dinner. I just need to put on my body armor, load my weapon and hop in the helicopter to go pick up my new cell phone.” Then hope I don’t get bumped from the return flight and end up having to spend the night. If I come home and the limited patience you remember me having seems to be galactically expanded, this is why.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello LT!!! Your BLOG is GREAT!!!! I've enjoyed reading it and it gives me reminders of what we went through over there....not too much fun....YUCK. We're all doing well and we have drill this weekend as well as the Holiday Party. We miss having your witty humor around along with other characteristics. I plan on printing your Blog because some of the S4 dept doesnt have regular access to the internet and I'm sure they'd enjoy reading it. We're ramping up to come visit you sometime....well only some of us.....and it will probably be us all passing in the night....so to speak.

My church has sponsored you and some others over there, but I need an address for you in order to send you goodies. Also include any wants or needs that you'd like to have. We are also sponsoring SKC Murrell. Well we are sponsoring about 3 others but they're Army BOOOOOO...GO NAVY BEAT ARMY!!!!
Any way it's good to hear/read that you are still in good spirits even though you have some hurdles to overcome while you're there. I know the first thing that freaked me out when I got back was that I didn't have to get all dressed up, take my own TP, use a flashlight to scan the area, and not have to walk 25ft or more to the closest johnny blue/brown. LOL!!!!

Take care!! SK1 Dezan
adezan@msn.com

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you bonding with God's creatures, great and small. When you get your cell phone, will you be able to transmit your blogs via Ma Bell?! Nicole