18 January 2008

On Politics

I have avoided commenting on politics for a few reasons - 1) Everyone else comments on it so it's not like it is a scarce subject and 2) I'm on active duty and there are certain restrictions on my freedom of speech. So, commenting as private citizen Bob I have two observations:

1) It has come to my attention that certain presidential candidates have comitted to withdrawing all troops from Iraq in the first year after they are elected. This statement represents one of two possibilities. Possibility #1 is that the candidate is so immensely naive and poorly informed that they have no idea what that commitment acutally involves. Possibility #2 is that the candidate is very well informed but is hoping that the voters are the naive ones and vote for the candidate because the candidate is saying what that voter wants to hear. I'm not commenting on the efficacy of a withdrawal plan, just the reality of putting one into effect.

Even if we started a systematic withdrawal of troops and equipment and everything else today, it would take at least two or three years to clear out of this place. Trust me on this one. Really, it took three months just to get my desk phone enabled to direct dial a number in Washington, DC and all that really involved was 30 seconds of programming on the digital switch network that runs the phone system.

2) There has been much crticism of the fledgling Iraqi Parliment in the last few months. They don't move fast enough. They have not accomplished enough. They are always taking breaks. Take a moment and ask yourself this: What did the U.S. Congress, in existence for going on 220 years, accomplish in the last term? Now compare. Things that make you go "hmmmmm."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob, cynicism is the smoke that rises from the ashes of burned out dreams

Anonymous said...

Hey great work on all counts Bobby! Way to go multi-channel on us too by including the blog URL in your Holiday card.

In all sincerity our Country is lucky to have smart & brave dudes like you to get us out of this mess. If we were in Qatar I'd let you have all 3 of my beers.

God speed out here my friend, Fight On, HFF & THANK YOU.