16 October 2007

Camp Victory ("Camp Mission Accomplished" was the runner-up name)




Local Tourism
Almost like a tourist at a new resort destination, no one can resist the opportunity to take a photo while sitting in Saddam’s custom Barca Lounger. I imagine he probably enjoyed many-a-episodes of Friends from this very chair while occasionally killing one of his henchmen during the commercials. The chair is set up for an easy Kodak moment, right after the entrance of the Al Faw Palace, where Multinational Force - Iraq is headquartered (i.e. General Petraeus). Much like what you may think is a good looking girl across the bar until you get closer, the palace buildings here are impressive and imposing from afar, but shoddy and substandard close-up. There are plumbing problems all over the place and in my office, which is part of the palace complex, there are signs above each commode warning people that the system can handle nothing more than liquid, not even toilet paper. I originally was ready to attribute the poor condition of the buildings to the U.S. but then realized that was not the case - the buildings were just very poorly built.

Over the summer, the high here was 136 degrees. Wow, how fascinating it must have been . . . for me to miss that. Now the days are in the high 80s and not too uncomfortable.

The “Big Voice”
Immediately prior to my arrival, Camp Victory was the target of several mortar attacks. There are sensors around base that detect incoming mortar or rocket fire at which point the “Big Voice” takes over. “INCOMING, INCOMING, INCOMING, TAKE COVER, TAKE COVER” it shouts out in a metallic twang. The denizens of Camp Victory are mostly casual with this all. There are concrete bunkers all around base, and people trot over to them maybe. Almost as soon as the first announcement is made, the “all-clear” signal is given. No actual impacts since I arrived.


They make tents this big?
There has been an interesting progression (downward, unfortunately) in my berthing (that’s Navy-speak for lodging). At Camp McCrady, as you may recall, I was in a building with about 10 other guys, bathroom attached. In case you need to review, see edition #3 of the blog below. In Kuwait, I was in a tent with 12 other guys, no bathroom attached, but flush toilets nearby. Now I am in Baghdad, in a tent with 80 other people, porta-johns nearby.




Note the one touch of home - my Reef flip flops . . . .

I think they might be trying to tell me something. Actually, I am in “temporary berthing” until a space in one of the trailers opens up.

We are all on the waiting list. I’d really like to be able to unpack my stuff but 1) there is no where near enough room for everything and 2) I’d like to stay optimistic that I will rise to the top of the list soon. There are only 13 other LTs ahead of me. I really feel for the DOD civilian employees at the GS12 level and below - some have been on the waiting list since May . . .

No comments: